Friday, November 4, 2011

Currently

Pretties and Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Pages read last week: 503
Pages read this week: 120
Pages Total: 2125

Sentences of the Week: 

1. "David was one of the Smokies' leaders -- the best prize the Cutters could have hoped for on this cold night. Tally could hardly believe he had dared come into the city, but she was going to make sure he would never leave again." -Specials

2.  “I don't want to hurt you but I will if I have too." -Specials in each of the books say this.

3. “You're insane!" she shouted.
"Pretty cool, huh?"
"No!"Tally yelled. "Why didn't you tell me it was broken?"
Shay shrugged. "More fun that way?"
"More fun?" Her heart beating fast,her vision strangely clear. She was full of anger and relief and...joy.
"Well, kind of. But you suck!” -Uglies

4.  “Tally smiled. At least she was causing trouble to the end. "I'm Tally Youngblood," she said. "make me pretty.”-Uglies

5.  “Which was worse: a friend with brain damage, or one who despised you?” -Uglies

6.  “The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit.” “I spilled more times than a glass of milk on a roller coaster.” -Uglies

Quote #1 shows how Tally's viewpoint of the world has changed since becoming a Special. Instead of seeing David as a loved one or a close friend, she sees him as a prize to be won. This makes me wonder what has happened to her brain this time.
Quote #2 is funny because all of the Specials that I've encountered in the books have said this line, and then in the third book Tally says the exact same line to her prey.
Quotes #3, #4, #5, and #6 are amusing. They reflect some of the humor in the Uglies that makes the series so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment