Wednesday, April 24, 2013

At Least He Didn't Try

Favorite page from today's reading: 
 
She is talking to Bree (herself) about a guy she just sold drugs to. Her first time as the dealer.

I feel like I can connect with this character, even though I am not involved with drugs and I'm not a mother. I think I feel connected to her in a way because, like her, when I feel lonely from being cooped up in the same 4-walled room all day for several days, I start to act whiny and desperate to the few people who will actually pay attention to me. I feel slightly crazy when I'm secluded from the world.
As with every great book, the reader needs to feel connected to the characters, even if you only feel sympathy for him/her. Kristina is spiraling out of control. She started using meth again and became addicted again. Her mother kicked her out of the house and won't let her see her baby. She fell in love with a guy who calls infrequently and she lives with his cousin. She lost her job and became a nanny for her boyfriend's cousin's daughters until their mother decided to come home after being away for months. Now Kristina lives in an apartment with her drugged out boyfriend and is a dealer for a Mexican mafia.
I'm nearly done with this 681 page book and I just bought it Monday. It is very engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment