Friday, September 23, 2011

Currently / Sentences of the Month

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Pages this week: 100
Pages this semester: 691


1. "Why is it that for the first half of my life I couldn't find a single honest person to hang around with? My relatives, my husbands, my friends, my kids--all of them would tell a lie as easily as they breathed, and not think a thing of it. A promise was like . . . like spit, something you made and got rid of and didn't worry about it. And now-- now when I really need to lie and break promises-- I'm stuck with the only moral person in this whole dang century." - Anny Beth Flick from Turnabout

2. "If you really must beat the measure, sir, let me entreat you to do so in time, and not half a beat ahead." - Jack Aubrey to Stephen Maturin. Master & Commander

3. "If you worried about your kids fighting over who got Aunt Mary's good china, and who got Uncle George's gun collection, think about what this battle'd be like! Who's with me on this?" - Anny Beth Flick from Turnabout.

4. "You know when sometimes you meet someone so beautiful and then you actually talk to them and five minutes later they're as dull as a brick? Then there's other people, when you meet them you think, "Not bad. They're okay." And then you get to know them and... and their face just sort of becomes them. Like their personality's written all over it. And they just turn into something so beautiful." - Amy Pond from Dr. Who 


I love these quotes because they show the humor that is in books with a serious tone. Quote 4 is just so sweet and romantic, at least in context. These are the best because they amuse me.

No comments:

Post a Comment