Friday, September 2, 2011

Amused

So this blog is dedicated to some of the things I found amusing or interesting in my adventures in reading Master & Commander by Patrick O'Brian.

In Chapter Five, Stephen Maturin has to help a woman in labor on another ship. The child was born, but I'm not sure if the mother died. This was interesting to me because there was a woman on board a ship and I've heard of the superstition about women being bad luck. It was also interesting because there was a pregnant woman on board.

Still in Chapter Five, James Dillon is talking with Stephen about Jack Aubrey. According to my inferences, James is jealous of Jack because Jack is captain of the Sophie. "I should say 'What's wrong with Jack Aubrey?'" -Stephen Maturin "And perhaps I should reply 'Everything,  since he has a command and I have not,'" -James Dillon. Later in the chapter, James apologizes to Stephen for "speak[ing] so rancorously." This is probably the first apology I have found in the book.

I am also amused at all the Latin words that are exchanged when there are people around that should not hear certain things. I have also found French and many medical terms in this book.

In Chapter Six, Jack Aubrey finds a snake on the ship. Stephen plays a prank on him by telling him that the snake is very poisonous. Jack freaks out and then Stephen tells him that the snake is pretty harmless. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment